Trinity – Why is this important?

Services of Worship Forums Minister’s Message Trinity – Why is this important?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Maroochydore.Master Maroochydore.Master 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Nothing describes or expresses the nature of hospitality, fellowship or community better than Trinity. It always means more, never less. One is a lonely number. Two is a self contained number. Three is an open number.

The story of Genesis begins with the creation of the world. Then there is the placement of the man and the woman, Adam and Eve, in the midst of the creation. Immediately the Lord God opens their lives to the wonder of all that is around to be part of the naming and presence of all the creatures. There can be no self containment, or self absorption for the two for they inextricably linked with God and with creation.

Scripture contains neither the word Trinity, nor an expressly formulated doctrine of the Trinity. Rather, according to Christian theology, it “bears witness to” the activity of a God who can only be understood in Trinitarian terms, as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Gregory of Nazianzus (4th Century Theologian) said of the Trinity, “No sooner do I conceive of the One than I am illumined by the splendour of the Three. No sooner do I distinguish Three than I am carried back into the One. When I think of any of the Three, I think of Him as the Whole, and my eyes are filled, and the greater part of what I am thinking escapes me. I cannot grasp the greatness of that One so as to attribute a greater greatness to the rest. When I contemplate the Three together, I see but one torch, and cannot divide or measure out the undivided light.”

This most beautiful and adoring phrase reminds us that there a different form of knowing and expressing this knowing. Worship and adoration, wonder and delight, are just as valid as scientific formula, statements and dogmas.

There is the language of the mind and there is the language of the soul. Each serves, compliments and enriches the other. Just as in Trinity there is no exclusion or contradiction, only divine love in holy communion, to the glory of the One. So too this is the truth about Creation and humanity.

Grace and peace, James.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.